7.12.20

Rewriting Conditional Sentences

1.        

Rewrite the following sentences using the words given. Use the answer key below to check your answers ONLY once you have written your own sentences.

 1.  1. He was planning to go to university, but his father died (If…)
2.      In my opinion, you should join a gym (If I …)
3.      In my opinion, you ought to rest for a few days (If I…)
4.      I advise you to look him straight in the eye (If I…)
5.      My advice to you is to call the police (If I…)
6.      My advice is: Take the train (If I…)
7.      You’d better not touch that button (If I…)
8.      He was so pushy that he didn’t get the job (If…)
9.      He is exhausted because he keeps training for so many hours (If he…)
10.  You can’t drive because you are not 18 yet (If you were…      
ou    10.1. You’re not 18, you can’t drive.( Unless…)
11  11.  I can’t write to her because I don’t have her address (If I…)
12.  I got wet because I forgot my umbrella (If I…)
13.  I couldn’t get in touch because you didn’t tell me where you were (If you…)
14.  We didn’t go on holiday because we didn’t have enough money (If we…)
15.  I didn’t know the answer because I hadn’t read the book (If I…)
16.  The Indian will probably die if he catches a Western disease (The Indian would die…)
17.  We called the station; otherwise, we wouldn’t have known the time of your train (If…)
18.  She would have come to the party, but she had to work (If she…)
19.  I won’t enjoy the film if you aren’t with me. (Unless you…)


Answer key
  1. 1.      If his father hadn´t died, he would have gone to university
  2. 2.      If I were you, I would join a gym
  3. 3.      I would rest for a few days if I were you
  4. 4.      If I were you, I would look him straight in the eye
  5. 5.      If I were you, I would call the police
  6. 6.      If I were you, I would take the train
  7. 7.      If I were you, I wouldn´t touch that button
  8. 8.      He would have got the job, if he hadn´t been so pushy
  9. 9.      If he didn´t train for so many hours, he wouldn´t be exahusted
  10. 10.  If you were 18 , you could drive./   Unless you are 18, you can’t drive.
  11. 11.  If I had her adress, I could write to her
  12. 12.  I wouldn´t have got wet if I hadn´t forgotten my umbrella
  13. 13.  If you had told me where you were, I could have got in touch
  14. 14.  If we had had enough money, we would have gone on holiday
  15. 15.  I would have known the answer if I had read the book
  16. 16.  The Indian would die if he caught a Western disease.
  17. 17.  If we hadn´t called the station, we wouldn´t have known the time of your train  
  18. 18.  If she hadn´t had to work, she would have come to the party
  19.       Unless you are with me, I won’t enjoy the film.

No hay comentarios: